Thursday, April 3, 2008

Stealing Bases

Bypassing a last-minute invitation to attend a summer camp in Aklan, I opted to be present at the retreat of the 6th grade graduates of our school in Dasmarinas, Cavite (grrr! until now, am still having a hard time pressing the /en-ye/ key in my laptop’s keyboard).

The place is owned by the parents of the class’ valedictorian and the reTREAT turned out to be her graduation-birthday-treat for everyone.

Wow. It was the first time again I was able to play stealing bases or ‘agawan base’ (‘maro’ for my playmates back then in Palawan, or ‘moro-moro’ for those in Albay).



larongbata.blogspot.com

Having the valiant and gallant ego inside me, I tried to rescue three kids captured from the hands of our opponents. Unluckily, a guard caught me after dropping into the grass. And then slam! I almost kissed the cow dung.

Second round, eying on an opponent runner near our base, I charged and scared him to run thru the woody part of the field. Since the ground was full of fallen leaves, the opponent slipped and subsided onto the ground. But wait! There’s more! I also slipped and dropped on my knees. Shoot! I was not able to catch him. To top it all, it was my knee that was able to catch some bruise.

In the last round of the game, I tried to rescue again three kids detained in the opponent’s base. But this time, a lookout charged from their base and started to run after me. Since the ground is a little bit sloped, he was able to catch me from behind. I almost felt that I would be slamming on the ground again, my face first, if only I was not able to regain my balance.


All in all, I fell thrice. Dropped dead. But still, managed to run again.


Even though my team lose the game, it was one of the best days of a return-to-my-childhood-nostalgia. I almost felt I was a sixth grade again.

I reached home at 9pm, just in time for American Idol.

The next morning, I woke up with an SMS in my phone saying:


I bet you miss us na! I bet that you’re gonna freakin dream about us :D you don’t regret going to the retreat!
You’re just afraid to let us know how much you’ll miss us :D


And so I replied:

I do regret attending the retreat!
This morning, I cant get up my bed cause my entire body aches.
But one thing I assure you, I will miss you all.


I just don’t want to add to the emotional torture you are suffering from right now…

No comments:

Post a Comment