Saturday, March 8, 2008

Why blog? (thoughts of a neophyte blogger)

Whew! Finally, I made it here. It’s my first time to make a blog in an official blogging site.

Thanks to Lani who finally convinced me to start to blog. (The truth is I really have nothing to do over the summer that’s why I have to start something new, not to mention something that will help me finance my urban living).

Honestly, I’m a neophyte to this contemporary habit on many online freaks or should I say: people who usually spend fifty percent of their 24-hour routine hurdling over myriad genre of websites. Well, in a few weeks time, I would be glad to be one of them.

Wait a minute! Did you know that the term “weblog” is a pretty young term in this world? It was coined exactly a decade ago by a person named Jorn Barger. However, the shorthand “blog” was first used by Peter Merholz in 1999, who purposely broke the word weblog into a phrase we blog in the sidebar of his blog. From then on, the term was instantly adopted as both noun and verb. “To blog,” meaning, “to post to a web site that contains online personal journal.”

Cliché as it is, but technology do change people. While some believe that blogs are just online diaries or journals, a lot of us missed to point out that blogs are indeed powerful instruments that an individual can use to get his or her opinion to be heard by other people.

As for a novice blogger like me, it’s really a good thing to have something that will be an outlet after an entire day distress.

And for my 2.5 inches thick dictionary that doesn’t even have an entry for the word blog, I will still not replace you. That’s a promise.


Kudos to all bloggers out there!

2 comments: